text text text

Passport Photos

There are a lot of locations where U.S. citizens can get a passport. Applications can be submitted in the United States at passport application acceptance facilities for both standard and expedited processing. Urgent processing in less than two weeks can be requested at a regional agency. Applying for a new passport while abroad can be done at either a U.S. embassy or consulate general. When you add them up, there are several thousand places where passports can be obtained. You will find those locations listed on this website long with instructions, applications and tips and other international travel information. Click here if you need to expedite your passport.

U.S. Passport Photo Requirements

Your two passport photos must be:

 2x2 inches in size
 Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
 Color (NOTE: Black and white photos are no longer accepted.)
 Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
 Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
 Taken in normal street attire

NOTE: Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable

Passport Photo FAQ

What type of paper are the photographs to be printed on?

The photos should be printed on thin photo-quality paper.

Can hats or religious headgear be worn for the passport photo?

Unless worn daily for religious reasons, all hats or headgear should be removed for the photo. In all cases, no item or attire should cover or otherwise obscure any part of the face.

Can work uniforms be worn for the passport photo?

Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except in the case of religious attire that is worn daily. Otherwise, normal street attire should be worn.

Can eyeglasses be worn for the passport photo?

Eyeglasses worn on a daily basis can be worn for the photo. However, there should be no reflections from the eyeglasses that obscures the eyes.

Can sunglasses or tinted glasses be worn for the passport photo?

Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.

Can a parent or guardian appear in the passport photo of a minor child?

No, the minor child must be the only subject in the photo. Nothing used to support the minor child, whether by mechanical or human means, should be in the camera's frame.

Are photos that are copied from recent driver licenses or other official documents acceptable?

No, only original photographs are acceptable. Copied or digitally scanned photos of photos will not be accepted. In addition, photos must not be retouched to alter the customer's appearance in any way.

May photos be taken with a digital camera?

If the digital camera has sufficient resolution capable of capturing and storing images with 1 million pixels (megapixels) or more it can be used to take the photos. However, printing of digital images is best done by professional photography processing labs because many off-the-shelf digital printers cannot achieve the image-quality required for passport and visa photographs. In any case, the image-quality criteria, described on this website, must be met in the submitted conventional film photo and/or the digital image printed photo.

If you need to get your passport fast and want to apply online to have it expedited, visit Fastport Passport & Visa Services.